Question:

From Fayetteville, Tennessee, USA:

I don't fully understand something. My son was having burning when urinating so I took him to the pediatrician. The doctor told us that his glucose in his urine test was extremely high, that his blood sugar was 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L]. Also, the doctor told us that he would have a burning when there was glucose in the urine and the only way to get rid of this was by drinking lots of water, which he already does. What is your opinion?

Answer:

Sugar in the urine is always abnormal and your son should be tested for diabetes. Sugar in the urine is not a common cause of burning with urination. I would suggest seeing a board certified pediatrician for a consultation.