Question:

From Ohio, USA:

For a child with type 1 diabetes, what is a typical doctor's appointment like?

Answer:

I view the visits as having at least three parts.

Firstly, I am the child's doctor so I must interact with the child and have a good rapport with the child.

Secondly, I need to know how the diabetes is going. I look at downloaded glucose readings myself and discuss the situations and management problems. Hopefully, we find solutions.

Thirdly, I usually do some part of an exam, a yearly complete, but at least some part, again, to let the child know I am his/her doctor.

We also try to teach something at each visit, something new or a refresher.