From Madisonville, Tennessee, USA:

I'm a school nurse with two fairly new juvenile diabetics. They get 12 to 15 gram carbohydrate snacks. What are some healthy alternatives that I can provide them? Right now, parents send fruit roll-ups Rice Krispie treats, Little Debbie cakes, etc. This seems to shoot them up high and then they drop again. One of them is allergic to peanut butter.

With regards to healthier snacks that are approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate and are peanut free, I would suggest the following:

• animal crackers
  • Cheezit crackers
  • low carbohydrate yogurts
  • vanilla wafers
  • unsweetened applesauce
  • popcorn (3 c. of a lower fat variety)
  • Teddy Grahams
  • graham crackers
  • 8 ounces low fat milk
  • One low fat string cheese stick with five or six saltine crackers

Please be sure to check the packages for serving sizes.