Question:

From New York, USA:

What is a typical C-Peptide is for someone in the honeymoon period? I have diabetes and use about 20 units a day in my pump and I have never used oral medications. But, I don't know what type diabetes I have. I am 20 years old, diagnosed at 19. I am getting a C-Peptide done next week and want to know what it would be if I were in the honeymoon period.

Answer:

Most of the time, the honeymoon period refers to the period after diagnosis where the remaining, surviving insulin-producing cells recover and begin to make insulin again. This may result in the cessation of insulin therapy for a limited time of weeks to months. If insulin has been stopped and glucose levels are normal, it would be anticipated that C-Peptide levels would be normal. Most assays for C-Peptide measure down to roughly 0.8. Therefore, a C-Peptide of over 1.5 with a good glucose would support normal insulin production at that time. However, when glucose levels are high, and C-Peptide levels are not, that is an inappropriately low level. C-Peptide levels less than 0.8 are usually seen when patients are insulin-dependant. At age 20, you most likely have type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Other and Honeymoon