Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

My friend was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put on metformin once a day and an exchange meal plan (for weight reduction). She was told to test her sugar only twice a day. She works a permanent night shift, which is three 12-hour shifts per week. That leaves four days per week as a "day person." Would she be better off with twice a day dosing of metformin? How should she change her meal plans for the nights that she works all night? Her doctor couldn't help her with that.

Answer:

It is hard to answer your questions since I'd need to know more information. The metformin, for example, depends on the dose and whether she is taking extended release or not. I would highly recommend your friend meet with a dietitian to work out a meal plan for her variable schedule.

JS

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Meal Planning, Food and Diet