From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

My friend was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put on metformin once a day and an exchange meal plan (for weight reduction). She was told to test her sugar only twice a day. She works a permanent night shift, which is three 12-hour shifts per week. That leaves four days per week as a "day person." Would she be better off with twice a day dosing of metformin? How should she change her meal plans for the nights that she works all night? Her doctor couldn't help her with that.

It is hard to answer your questions since I'd need to know more information. The metformin, for example, depends on the dose and whether she is taking extended release or not. I would highly recommend your friend meet with a dietitian to work out a meal plan for her variable schedule.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Meal Planning, Food and Diet