Question:

From Louisiana, USA:

I want a pump but I don't know if my Medicaid will cover it. If it does, can I get the one where you can get covers and stickers and stuff to make it look cool? I have to go to my doctor in August before school starts and I wanted to have one before school. What do I say to my doctor if I can get a pump in Louisiana?

Answer:

The Louisiana Medicaid Program will authorize coverage for an insulin pump under the durable medical equipment provisions if certain conditions are met. These pre-authorization requirements must be met before the coverage will be authorized and will take time to satisfy. It is important that your physician knows that the same coverage conditions established for patients with Medicare coverage have been adopted for coverage by the DHH (the agency that administers the Louisiana Medicaid program). I would start the process now if you want an insulin pump by the time school starts in the Fall. As far as decorating your pump, I think it is a wonderful idea, but do not know how you would do that. In case someone needs to look up the coverage requirements, the regulation can be found at LAC 50:XVII.1915.

DSH

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Insurance/Costs