Question:

From Freehold, New Jersey, USA:

My son is eight years old, diagnosed on April 1, 2006. He is "honeymooning," getting one unit of NPH daily and has wonderful glucose levels. I want to get him into study or find a doctor that will preserve his pancreatic function. I tried the AbATE (Autoimmunity-Blocking Antibody Therapy for Tolerance in Type 1 Diabetes) trial, but my son does not weigh 86 pounds. I'd like to know how may eight year olds do? It is so frustrating because we will miss this window and he could miss his chance. Do you know of any trials or doctors in my area that could help?

Answer:

The only trial with we know of is the New Onset of Type 1 Diabetes Mycophenolate Mofetil-Daclizumab Clinical Trial. Columbia University in New York is a participating center.

BH

Posted to Research: Other Research