Question:

From Bridgeport, West Virginia, USA:

I was told about two years ago that I have pre-diabetes. Recently, I went to the doctor because I also have high blood pressure and take Diovan. I've had high blood pressure for three years. My doctor ran a blood test and said not to worry, but that I have Stage 11 kidney disease. She felt it was from my high blood pressure and pre-diabetes going up and down. Should I be worry? What does stage II mean? Will it go to Stage III or stay on Stage II? I am confused and kind of worried about my kidneys. I have awakened with my kidneys hurting for a while. Could it be from high blood pressure and pre-diabetes?

Answer:

The stages of kidney function have been recently redesigned by the National Kidney Foundation to offer feedback about level of function. Stage II is kidney function with 60 to 89% of function. This is not immediately life-threatening. However, it is of concern. It requires close follow-up with your doctor. You need to follow all the treatment recommendations for controlling blood pressure. These include a healthy diet, weight loss, good compliance with taking prescribed medications, healthy exercise, and close follow-up with your doctor at visits. If you do these things, you will also be addressing the things that cause pre-diabetes. Pre-diabetes is a concern because if you have the condition and choose not to do anything about it, you may have a high-risk for developing type 2 diabetes.