Question:

From Tampa, Florida, USA:

Is there a test kit or any way to know if my insulin (Humalog pen) has spoiled? The only method I know is taking some, then waiting for an hour or more to see if my blood sugar level has dropped.

Answer:

Unfortunately, the only way to tell if insulin is no longer active is by its appearance or its activity. If clear, colorless insulin has particles in it or has changed color, it should be discarded. If cloudy insulin has changed color or has clumps in it, it should be discarded. If blood glucose levels get "out of control (high)," one possibility is the action of the insulin (among other things).

BS