Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from June 2006

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My son has a hairline cut at the base of his thumbnail that is not improving after two days on an antibiotic. What should we do? Do we need to contact his endocrinologist? (30 Jun 2006)

2. I don't trust the local doctor to care for my five year old. Should I drive to a bigger city to find a pediatric endocrinologist? Should we force our son to get a pump? His current A1c is 6.7 and he is on two daily injections. (29 Jun 2006)

3. Does diabetes affect your growth? I have poor control since I'm on growth hormones. What will make it easier for me to control my blood sugar? (29 Jun 2006)

4. My daughter's fasting blood sugar was 103 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L]. Two hours after a sugary drink, it was 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L]. What does this mean? (29 Jun 2006)

5. What should a normal blood sugar reading be one hour after a meal? Is it okay to have a one hour reading over 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] if your two hour reading is lower? (29 Jun 2006)

6. Although I have control of my blood sugars since my recent diagnosis with type 2, I now have itching in my scalp. Could it be caused by my diabetes? (29 Jun 2006)

7. I've been told that people with type 1 can eat whatever they want if they cover it with insulin. Is this really true? Wouldn't this cause weight gain? Can you explain when people with type 2 need insulin? (29 Jun 2006)

8. My daughter had a bad reaction with a 3.1 mmol/L [56 mg/dl] blood sugar. She has been lower and not symptomatic. What was different this time? (29 Jun 2006)

9. Is there a diabetes medicine made from iguana venom? (29 Jun 2006)

10. I recently checked both my fasting and random blood sugars. Are they normal? Should I assume I do not have diabetes? (29 Jun 2006)

11. I have been taking Reglan for gastroparesis. For about three weeks, I have been vomiting everything. My blood sugars are often low and I have large ketones. Is there any other treatment for gastroparesis? I really hate going to the hospital. (29 Jun 2006)

12. My friend works at a daycare facility where a 10 year old girl often eats poorly. Teachers have found used lancets, strips, etc. at the facility. Is there anything they can do to get the girl to be more cooperative? (29 Jun 2006)

13. The literature with Lantus says to use an open vial for only 28 days. Why is this? I waste a lot of insulin this way. Can I use the vial until it's empty? (29 Jun 2006)

14. Although his blood sugars have normalized since his diagnosis three months ago, lately, my husband has been having mood swings. Is this normal for someone recently diagnosed? (29 Jun 2006)

15. Can undiagnosed diabetes cause high and low blood sugars? (28 Jun 2006)

16. After six months on a pump, my 14 year old is still having a lot of fluctuating blood sugars. His last A1c was 9.0. Is this because of puberty or problems adjusting his pump? (28 Jun 2006)

17. How long does it take for someone to go into DKA? I have gone several days without insulin to try to lose weight, on more than one occasion. Why have I not gone into DKA? (28 Jun 2006)

18. Using my grandmother's meter, my son's blood sugar was 10.3 mmol/L [185 mg/dl]. What should I do? Should I be concerned about the black marks he has under his eyes? (28 Jun 2006)

19. My son has intermittent slightly elevated blood sugars. He was antibody negative two years ago. Is he at risk for diabetes? Should I reduce his sugar intake? (28 Jun 2006)

20. Even though we rotate his sites, my son's infusion sets are lasting fewer than two days. Is there any way to prolong the life of these infusion sets? (28 Jun 2006)

21. My daughter's latest A1c was 7.0, on injections. Would it improve if she were pumping? Is there much damage with a 7.0 A1c? (28 Jun 2006)

22. My son has been diagnosed with borderline diabetes. Do I need to check his blood glucose every day? Does he require a special diet? (28 Jun 2006)

23. If someone knows that a parent of a young child with diabetes is expecting that child to perform most of his own care, are they obligated to report this? (28 Jun 2006)

24. My daughter will be in pre-Kindergarten in the fall. What suggestions do you have for training the school staff? Where can I find out about other rights and options? (28 Jun 2006)

25. Does diabetes cause rapidly rising CPK levels? (28 Jun 2006)

26. I am interested in learning about diabetes summer camps in Europe for my 12-year-old son. Specifically, are there any camps in Germany, France, or Switzerland? (28 Jun 2006)

27. My son has had diabetes for five years and uses a pump. His diabetes doctor doesn't think A1cs are important and won't prescribe a urine protein test. What do you think? (27 Jun 2006)

28. Is Byetta approved for type 1 diabetes, since they suspect that it may cause the pancreas to regenerate/repair cells? (27 Jun 2006)

29. I have checked my blood sugar several times and see that it goes down after meals. Could I have reactive hypoglycemia? Is there a test for this? (27 Jun 2006)

30. Is it true that people with diabetes may have problems with sexual capacity? (27 Jun 2006)

31. My teen daughter drinks a lot of diet pop. Is it true this can make her insulin resistant? Could she be addicted to the pop? (27 Jun 2006)

32. I am having problems getting my daughter to try new foods and to sleep in her own bed. What should I do? (27 Jun 2006)

33. An oral GTT indicated my son was low after three hours.Is this reactive hypoglycemia? Can this precede diabetes in children? (26 Jun 2006)

34. Diagnosed with type 1 about five weeks ago, my daughter's blood sugar was over 600 mg/dl [33.3 mmol/L] and she was in ketoacidosis. Should I ask that she be tested to see if she might have atypical diabetes? Are there are on-going studies in which she could participate? (26 Jun 2006)

35. When calculating carbohydrates in a meal, do you subtract for each individual food of more than five grams of fiber or do you add the total grams of fiber in all the foods, even those with less than five grams? (26 Jun 2006)

36. My primary care physician said I have hypoglycemia, but an endocrinologist said not to worry unless my blood sugar was less than 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L]. So, do I have hypoglycemia or not? (26 Jun 2006)

37. I would like to take my twins, both of whom have diabetes, to the Dominican Republic. What are local hospitals like? What do I do if they get sick? (26 Jun 2006)

38. Although most of her blood sugars are within normal, my daughter continues to have an elevated A1c. I do some of the checks and watch her give herself insulin. What do you recommend? (26 Jun 2006)

39. My daughter's Insets come off easily. Is there a way to get them to adhere better? Are there certain infusion sets that are more often used by kids? Is there anything other than lidocaine to numb her site area? (26 Jun 2006)

40. Do you have any data on blood sugar dropping during seizures, thus causing a hypoglycemic reaction? My son has type 1 and epilepsy and I have seen his blood sugar drop significantly during a seizure. (26 Jun 2006)

41. My teen daughter has had diabetes for 13 years and takes good care of herself. She wants to go on a school trip to Ecuador. Her teacher is willing to learn more about diabetes, but I am nervous. Should I let her go? (25 Jun 2006)

42. Since my teen daughter doesn't take care of her diabetes, she had protein in her urine. Is it true that improved control could reverse or minimize any possible damage? (25 Jun 2006)

43. I am a pediatrician in Botswana and have been asked to help care for several teens with poorly controlled diabetes. Where can I find Internet-accesible materials to help them? (25 Jun 2006)

44. I will be moving to Maryland in November. Where can I find a diabetes doctor for my child and other parents who have children with type 1? What type of medical insurance do I need to cover this disease? (24 Jun 2006)

45. I have the chance to get a MiniMed Paradigm® REAL-Time Insulin Pump and Continuous Glucose Monitoring System for my five year old. What should my concerns be? (24 Jun 2006)

46. When you say approximately 80% of kids with type 1 will have positive antibodies, what exactly does that mean? If a child is constantly urinating due to hyperglycemia, could the glucose be continually flushed out or would the test always be positive? (24 Jun 2006)

47. My daughter has had intermittent high and low blood sugars and tested positive for diabetes antibodies, but has not been diagnosed. Is she is she likely to develop diabetes? (24 Jun 2006)

48. Since both my siblings have type 1, I have tested my son. Yesterday, his blood sugar was 163 mg/dl [3.5 mmol/L] three hours after eating. What do you think? Could this be an early sign of type 1? (24 Jun 2006)

49. My toddler has ketotic hypoglycemia. Our pediatrician was concerned about her having a "genetic conditions." To what was he referring? Is there anything else we need to do? (24 Jun 2006)

50. I have taken my son to the doctor three times with symptoms of diabetes, but his blood sugars are only sometimes elevated. How can I prevent the onset of type 1? How can I keep his blood sugars in range? (23 Jun 2006)

51. A co-worker tested my blood sugar and it was 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L], then 170 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L]. Is this serious? Should I get blood work done? (23 Jun 2006)

52. Denied a medical release to play football because he doesn't check his blood sugar, my teen son has experimented with drugs and run away from home. Are there any facilities where he can get help? (23 Jun 2006)

53. With an insulin level of 49, my daughter had some tests run at an endocrinology clinic. Meanwhile, after eating grapes because she felt shaky, her blood sugar was 124 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L]. Is this normal? (23 Jun 2006)

54. Recently, my friend's blood sugar was 8.1 mmol/L [146 mg/dl] 30 minutes after a sandwich. She had increased thirst and urination. Should she see a doctor? (23 Jun 2006)

55. After five years with type 1, I have had to reduce my daughter's insulin significantly to prevent lows. Is this common? What should I do? (22 Jun 2006)

56. Are other disorders, such as ADD, bipolar, obsessive-compulsive sometimes associated with diabetes? How can we deal with a medical system that separates mental conditions from things like diabetes? (22 Jun 2006)

57. Using a home glucometer, my son had a few elevated blood sugars. His fasting blood sugar was normal at the doctor's office. Why the discrepancy in readings? If at an early stage, will his A1c be elevated? (22 Jun 2006)

58. My 10 year old doesn't always want to test or do his injections. I am about to start a job and won't be home as much to help him. What can I do? (22 Jun 2006)

59. My ex-husband tests our daughter's blood sugar using the lancet his stepdaughter uses. He and his wife also use the same lancet. How can I protect my daughter from getting infected? Are there any laws to protect her? (22 Jun 2006)

60. How can I find out how many carbohydrates are in Keflex so I can titrate my daughter's insulin accordingly? (22 Jun 2006)

61. At a recent check-up, my five year old had sugar in his urine. Blood tests revealed normal results. Is this an early sign of diabetes? Is constipation, which he often has, a sign of diabetes? Am I being paranoid or is the doctor not telling me everything? (22 Jun 2006)

62. Because I moved, I missed my 28 week glucose test. How valid is a GTT performed at 33 weeks gestation? I'm in a country that does the 75 gram/two hour test. (22 Jun 2006)

63. I had an A1c of 5.8 and a random glucose of 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L]. Is this something to be concerned about? (22 Jun 2006)

64. My sister allows her son to eat a lot of junk food and doesn't worry that he will get diabetes because "only overweight children get it." Is this true? (21 Jun 2006)

65. After great success with Lente, my son was just put on Levemir. How do we dose his Humalog? Should we switch to a strictly carbohydrate to insulin ratio program? (21 Jun 2006)

66. I have had type 1 for several years. Recently, I checked my son's blood sugar and it was 145 mg/dl [8.1 mmol/L]. Is this normal? How can I prevent my children from getting type 1? Is anyone trying to find a cure? (21 Jun 2006)

67. Can just having formula for the first four to six months of an infant's life and the sweetness of the formula cause infantile diabetes? (21 Jun 2006)

68. Where can I find books about proper diet which are appropriate for my granddaughter? (21 Jun 2006)

69. At 26 weeks, I had an elevated blood sugar at the two hour check. Do I need to watch what I eat? Recently, I have had some elevated blood sugars. What does this mean to my baby? (19 Jun 2006)

70. I recently had an elevated fasting blood sugar. A second fasting test was normal so my doctor would not prescribe a GTT. Why was the first test elevated when I was not symptomatic? (19 Jun 2006)

71. Previously, my son had some of the symptoms of diabetes, but they went away. Recently, I tested him because of increased thirst. Should I be concerned based on his blood sugars? (19 Jun 2006)

72. Are there any web sites that have kid friendly meals for kids with insulin resistance? My daughter is very picky. (18 Jun 2006)

73. After going on Prandin, I gained weight around my stomach. When I switched to insulin, I still gained weight. Is it possible to lose weight gained from taking medication? I use a treadmill and take water aerobics. (18 Jun 2006)

74. How could atypical diabetes mellitus be wrongly diagnosed as type 1 diabetes when the patient presents with diabetic ketoacidosis at the emergency department of the hospital? (18 Jun 2006)

75. How can I lower my blood sugars and exercise after my upcoming surgery? What kind of diet should I follow? I will be in a cast for up to five months. (18 Jun 2006)

76. My young daughter is often thirsty, but she has no other signs of diabetes. Is it possible to have only one symptom? (18 Jun 2006)

77. Where can we find an insurance company to cover theft or loss of an insulin pump outside our home or car? Our homeowners insurance covers it at home or in the car. (18 Jun 2006)

78. My six year old has had type 1 for five years. We have noticed he has a hearing problem. Is it related to his diabetes? (17 Jun 2006)

79. Are you aware of any connection between migraines and diabetes? (17 Jun 2006)

80. Twenty minutes after a normal blood sugar, juice, and part of a granola bar, I had symptoms similar to a seizure. Was this a diabetic seizure? (17 Jun 2006)

81. What is included in an "emergency" diabetic kit? (15 Jun 2006)

82. After an infection and steroids, my son was diagnosed with type 1. Gradually, his insulin was reduced, then stopped. Now, he has high bedtime levels that come down on their own overnight. The doctor will not resume insulin, but I am worried about the highs. What is your opinion? (6 Jun 2006)

83. My doctor put me on metformin and something else that caused me problems. I stopped taking them. Now, I feel great and want to go back on the Atkins diet, against my doctor's advice, which helps me lose weight and feel great. What should I do? (6 Jun 2006)

84. We are concerned our son may have early diabetes. Is this possible? Our pediatrician doesn't think this fits our son who has had intermittent symptoms for about a year. (6 Jun 2006)

85. Have you had any children (or adults) whose hyperglycemia could be attributed to shock wave therapy for kidney stones? My son has had some elevated blood sugars, but he has not yet been diagnosed with diabetes. He had shock wave therapy at age four. (6 Jun 2006)

86. Are you aware of any literature that suggests children with widely varying blood sugar levels are more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD? (6 Jun 2006)

87. A nutritionist told me to stop eating and drinking sugar substitutes because they trick the pancreas into releasing insulin and the cells eventually become resistant to the insulin. Have you heard of this? (6 Jun 2006)

88. I had a glucose tolerance test two hour reading of 92 mmol/L [166 mg/dl] so the doctor felt I did not have gestational diabetes. Do I need to treat my blood sugar at that level? What is the range of blood sugars I should be having? (6 Jun 2006)

89. After 41 years with diabetes, I have numbness in the sides of my thighs. What kind of test do I need to confirm it is neuropathy? (6 Jun 2006)

90. My daughter takes a total of 53 to 57 units of insulin a day. What are the long-term effects of using that much insulin? Is it dangerous? (6 Jun 2006)

91. What are the long-term effects of consistently low blood sugars? What are the effects of high blood sugars? (6 Jun 2006)

92. During soccer tournaments, my teen son is often low before his second game. Then, he may experience blurry vision. What should we do to keep his blood sugar in range? (6 Jun 2006)

93. Since insulin injections and meals are in the middle of his baseball games, my boyfriend's son quit the team. Is it possible to make adjustments to time to accommodate sports or other activities? (4 Jun 2006)

94. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. She also has irregular periods. Is this because of the hypoglycemia? (4 Jun 2006)

95. Since his diagnosis with type 1 seven years ago, my son has complained of stomach pain. All tests have been negative. What could this be? (4 Jun 2006)

96. Before his diagnosis in March, my son had a bad case of hives. They returned recently and are worse. Are hives common for those newly diagnosed with type 1? Can you suggest a type of doctor to see about this? (4 Jun 2006)

97. With a normal fasting blood sugar, a random slightly elevated blood sugar and increased thirst and urination, could my son have early type 1 diabetes? (4 Jun 2006)

98. Sometimes, my son's blood sugar is elevated and he has ketones, but his blood sugar drops and the ketones almost disappear. Could this be early type 1? Should I find another specialist? (3 Jun 2006)

99. I've been successfully treating my diabetes with metformin for a year, but the doctor won't renew it because of my creaninine level. What is your opinion? (3 Jun 2006)

100. I've had diabetes for 21 years and have gotten my A1c down to 6.1, but I keep overeating. What do you recommend to help me stick to my diet and lose weight? (3 Jun 2006)

101. Diagnosed with type 1 last November, my teen son is unable to do his own insulin injections. Do you have any suggestions? (3 Jun 2006)

102. For five of the eight years I've had diabetes, I've had many of the symptoms of celiac. My blood test was negative. Can it still be celiac? If it's not celiac, what could it be? (3 Jun 2006)

103. I just learned that my son was not truthful with the doctor about his insulin dosages. So, when the doctor gave my son new dosages for Lantus, the amount was not correct. The doctor is out of town and we leave shortly for vacation. What should we do about the Lantus dosage? And, how do I talk to my son about his lying? (3 Jun 2006)

104. Where can I find out how many children in Pakistan have type 1 diabetes? (3 Jun 2006)

105. My teen son has become lax about checking his blood sugars. I've tried to explain how his present actions will affect his future health. What should I do? (1 Jun 2006)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts