Question:

From Harrisburg, Illinois, USA:

My daughter was recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia by our family doctor. She lost five pounds, going from 97 pounds to 92 pounds. She is 13. I have noticed her periods are irregular since being diagnosed. Is this something that can be expected?

Answer:

The first question is whether or not the diagnosis of hypoglycemia was correct. Often, this is a difficult diagnosis to make. Many people feel better eating three meals and three snacks while avoiding simple sugars, but the diagnosis of hypoglycemia requires a documented low blood glucose level (e.g., less than 59 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L]) at a time when there are hypoglycemic symptoms and the cessation of the symptoms immediately when fast acting sugar is provided. So, if this was done and fits these criteria, then the diagnosis can be confirmed. If not, you may want a second opinion or a specialist consultation.

Usually, irregular periods are not so uncommon in teenagers. And, usually hypoglycemia is not so commonly associated with irregular periods. So, I am not so sure that the two are related. If over the next six to 12 months there is excessive menstrual bleeding, irregular cycles and/or cramping, then consultation either with an adolescent specialist, gynecologist and/or endocrinologist might be reasonable to try to find a treatable cause - a long list to consider.