Question:

From Westminster, Massachusetts, USA:

My boyfriend's son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The son decided he wanted to quit playing baseball since the injections and food requirement run in the middle of the game. My boyfriend says they cannot change the shot/food times because it will effect the next shot time. Is it possible to make adjustments to time to accommodate sports or other activities?

Answer:

Children with diabetes need to play sports. I think some of the best controlled children I care for are great athletes. His schedule can accommodate diabetes.

[Editor's comment: You might want to have your boyfriend discuss a different insulin regimen with his son's diabetes team. Although you did not indicate which regimen the boy is on, a regimen of Lantus as long-acting insulin and Humalog/NovoLog as fast-acting insulin, for example, would certainly allow for sports. Lantus is given once or twice a day with fast-acting insulin for all snacks and meals. Food does not need to be eaten at a certain time to counteract the peak of insulin. There are other options, including the use of Insulin Pump Therapy. BH]