From Westminster, Massachusetts, USA:

My boyfriend's son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The son decided he wanted to quit playing baseball since the injections and food requirement run in the middle of the game. My boyfriend says they cannot change the shot/food times because it will effect the next shot time. Is it possible to make adjustments to time to accommodate sports or other activities?

Children with diabetes need to play sports. I think some of the best controlled children I care for are great athletes. His schedule can accommodate diabetes.

[Editor's comment: You might want to have your boyfriend discuss a different insulin regimen with his son's diabetes team. Although you did not indicate which regimen the boy is on, a regimen of Lantus as long-acting insulin and Humalog/NovoLog as fast-acting insulin, for example, would certainly allow for sports. Lantus is given once or twice a day with fast-acting insulin for all snacks and meals. Food does not need to be eaten at a certain time to counteract the peak of insulin. There are other options, including the use of Insulin Pump Therapy. BH]