Question:

From Austin, Texas, USA:

I recently underwent metabolic testing. During the analysis of my results, the nutritionist told me to quit eating and drinking foods with sugar substitutes because they encourage insulin resistance. She said that eating something tasting of sugar makes the brain tell the pancreas to release insulin, but that when the insulin travels to the cell, since there really isn't sugar there, it's like crying wolf. After time, the cells become resistant to the insulin since no sugar is present. She told me we would be better off eating real sugar or using xylitol as a sugar substitute, if necessary, and that my son with diabetes (a Crystal Light devotee) should not eat or drink it either.

I was skeptical of this, as my son has been diabetic for almost a decade and this is something I had never heard or read. I thought it was hereditary or related to type 2 diabetes. Can anyone comment on this? I would like to print out the comment and mail it to this person if you refute her explanation.

Answer:

I do not accept the recommendation not to use substitutes for sugars. In general, substitutes that cut down on calorie consumption are not inappropriate. I am not familiar with the explanation offered and question its validity.

[Editor's comment: Excess consumption of xylitol and other alcohol sugars (those ending with "ol" like sorbitol and mannitol) can cause gastrointestinal distress (gas and/or diarrhea). BH]