Question:

From Syracuse, New York, USA:

I wasn't having any kind of low. In fact, I had just tested and eaten. My blood sugar was 123 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L] 20 minutes earlier. I had some juice and was finishing my granola bar when I started to feel lightheaded. I tried to move, but I couldn't control my body. Then, I started to shake severely. All I can think is that it was similar to an epileptic seizure, but I was fully aware of what was happening. When it was over, I felt perfectly fine and my blood glucose was not low. Is this what they call a diabetic seizure? I have never had one before.

Answer:

No, this does not sound like a "diabetic seizure." From the description, it sound as if it was probably not a seizure at all. Seizures can occur with severe hypoglycemia and you would not likely remember anything or be alert before or during the seizure. I would tell your family doctor about this and remember always to check your blood glucose with any unusual symptoms.

MN