From Sidney, Ohio, USA:

My eight year old daughter was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance. We did have a consultation with a dietician who gave us a meal plan to go by, but my daughter is very picky and I cannot get her to eat vegetables or most meats. Do you know of any web sites that may be able to help me come up with great "kid friendly" meals that she is allowed to eat? According to the doctor, if I can't get her to eat better foods, then "she will not be just knocking at the door of diabetes, she will be entering it."

A great web site to which I frequently refer patients and parents is the USDA's Once on the web site, you can enter the calorie level that was determined to be appropriate by your dietitian and then obtain a week's worth of sample menus. Look for the link labeled "tips and resources." Good luck with meal planning.

[Editor's comment: You may also wish to get the cookbooks America's Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes ; Cooking Up Fun For Kids With Diabetes; or Kid's Choice Cookbook . You might also find Food, Fun n' Fitness to be helpful. BH]