Question:

From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA:

I'm concerned that my granddaughter doesn't seem to understand that she needs to change her diet. My daughter has tried, but is not getting anywhere. She will not eat red meat or greens and does not drink milk. We have tried to explain to her the long term effects diabetes will have on her organs and her eyesight. She has problem with high sugar and she is on the pump. She gets a little lax in checking when she should. I was trying to find a book that would be at her level, that would help her to understand what diabetes is all about. We just don't know what to do.

Answer:

There are several great educational resources for kids with diabetes. The best is our Children with Diabetes web site. However, there are other great print resources. For a great review and several suggestions, please see Books for Kids and Teens with Type 1.

[Editor's comment: You may also want to look at the USDA's MyPramid.gov about making healthy food choices. Also, keep in mind that children's eating habits often change as they get older. If you are concerned that she is not getting proper vitamins and nutrients, please discuss the use of multivitamins with your granddaughter's endocrinologist or pediatrician. BH]