Question:

From Taber, Alberta, Canada:

We were at my sister's house today and she allowed my 11 year old nephew to consume five frosted cupcakes, two large glasses of soda pop, a large bowl of ice cream and other candy during our visit. She said she isn't worried about him getting diabetes because only children who are overweight can get it. Is this true?

Answer:

Eating too much sugar does not cause diabetes. However, unhealthy eating will set anyone up for health problems including obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. As for only children who are overweight getting diabetes; unhealthy eating leads to being overweight which, in turn, can lead to developing type 2 diabetes, even in children. Children with type 1 diabetes are usually of a normal weight and is not caused by eating too much sugar.

MN