Question:

From Cork, Ireland:

My nine year old daughter has type 1 diabetes for five years. For the past five months, she has had days where I don't give her insulin because she will have lows all day. She is on Humalog before each meal and Levemir at night. I have decreased her night insulin from 15 units to four. In the daytime, I can feed her a big meal and her sugar levels are under 5.0 mmol/L [90 mg/dl] afterwards. The doctors don't really know why this is happening, but she will be getting blood test done next week. Has this happened to any others before? What should I do?

Answer:

This isn't common. I wonder sometimes if she isn't getting insulin you don't know about. Look for that. She might have other endocrine diseases, for which her doctors will likely look. Otherwise, I would follow the glucose carefully.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Insulin Analogs