From Los Angeles, California, USA:

Recently, when my friend's blood sugar was checked, her level was 8.1 mmol/l [146 mg/dl], half an hour after eating a ham sandwich. She had been experiencing symptoms of increased thirst and just slightly increased urination, but a heat wave recently passed and this could have been the result. Is this level normal or shall I advise her to see a doctor?

A blood sugar of 8.1 mmol/l (146 mg/dl) is abnormally high. I would suggest that she seek care from her physician to investigate why she may be having high blood sugars, especially if she has other symptoms such as the increased thirst and urination that you mentioned.