Question:

From Highland Mills, New York, USA:

My nine year old daughter had an insulin level of 49. The pediatrician sent her to an endocrinology clinic that is now running tests. Tonight, I had to take her back to my pediatrician because she was shaking and felt like she couldn't see right. I fed her some grapes and took her to the doctor. According to his Accu-Chek meter, her blood sugar was 124 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L]. Is this all normal or what?

Answer:

You didn't really provide enough CLINICAL information here to have a more meaningful answer. I presume the insulin level was 49 uU/mL, but was the simultaneous glucose level? Was the testing done with the child fasting? Why was the test done in the first place? Is she overweight?

The time of day and the proximity to meals could absolutely affect the insulin and glucose level. A "random" fingerstick glucose reading with a meter of 124 g/dL after eating some grapes is not too worrisome. More helpful would have been the glucose reading when she had her symptoms.

I suggest you follow up with the physicians who are guiding you.