Question:

From Scottsdale, Arizona, USA:

My 16 year old son refuses to test. Because of this, he was not given a medical release to play high school football. Since then, he lost any and all motivation and has been experimenting with drugs. He is extremely stubborn and at this point determined to die early. He has run away from home. I am looking for a boarding school that has the ability to also assist him getting back on track with his diabetic needs. I have yet to find anything, even looking on the national diabetic sites. Do you know of any such facilities. I really want to get him the help he needs.

Answer:

The only facility of which I am aware that treats kids with diabetes who also have psychological issues is the Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents in New Kent, Virginia.

JSH

Posted to Behavior and Other