Question:

From Omaha, Nebraska, USA:

Last summer, my son was having symptoms such as excess thirst and urination, weight loss (a couple pounds here and there) and paleness. I took him to the doctor three times. The first time, his fasting blood sugar was 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L]. The second time, it was 169 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L] and third time it was normal. He tested negative for ketones in February. We found a different doctor and he suggested a low sugar/carbohydrate diet and that we monitor his blood sugars. His symptoms seem to be getting worse. He lost two pounds in two weeks and a random blood sugar of 198 mg/dl [11.0 mmol/L]. The doctor classified him as hyperglycemic. We are waiting to take him to an internal medicine doctor. In the last week, his random testings varied from 73 to 198 mg/dl [4.1 to 11.0 mmol/L]. What more can I do to keep his sugar level in the normal range? Can I do anything to prevent the onset of type 1?

Answer:

Most importantly, if your son is of preschool age, you should be consulting a pediatric endocrinologist, not an internal medicine doctor. Please have your physician put you in contact with one. He/she should be able to answer your questions.

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Diagnosis and Symptoms