Question:

From Tolland, Connecticut, USA:

My 16 year old daughter has been dealing with type 1 diabetes since the age of three. She is currently using an insulin pump and is in pretty good control with an occasional high or low. She is begging me to go on a school trip to Ecuador. The chaperone has already been her teacher and understands the basics of diabetes and is willing to learn more, but I am still nervous about letting her go that far for that long. Do you think I should let her go?

Answer:

It sounds as if she takes good care of herself and her diabetes should not keep her from going on the trip. This can be a good time to tell her how proud you are of her taking care of herself and show that you trust her! If you or her diabetes team think there are things she needs to work on, it can also be a good time to "get in shape" before the trip. Be sure she packs at least double the supplies needed (and hand carries them as well as more back-up supplies packed) and that several people (chaperone and roommate) have glucagon kits and know how to use them.

MN

[Editor's comment: Make sure your daughter takes plenty of food/juice for treating lows, medication for nausea and diarrhea, copies of prescriptions, and a copy of her health insurance card. You may also benefit from reading our other questions on Traveling. BH]

Posted to Other and Traveling