From Saudi Arabia:

I am interested in learning about diabetes summer camps in Europe for my 12-year-old son. Specifically, are there any camps in Germany, France, or Switzerland?

This answer is provided by Lorne Abramson, Executive Director of the Diabetes Education and Camping Association.

There are many diabetes camps in Europe. However, they are usually very limited in the numbers of children that they can accept. This would seem to exclude campers from other countries. The other problem is insurance. The medical director would have to be involved in the situation as the camper would have no standing in the country.

Here is information about the three countries you asked about:

• Germany:
    German Diabetes Union
    Drosselweg 16
    82152 Krailing

All contact information is listed on Their camps are scattered throughout the country and appear to have been filled quite a long time ago.

• France:
    Association Franquise des Diabetiques
    14 me du Clos
    Paris 75020

All contact information is listed on The camps in France are very similar to England, "Holiday Family weekends." They are very regional in nature and limited in numbers. They are mostly Family Camp events.

• Switzerland:
    This is the most promising BUT still limited in the numbers of campers and might be full at this very late date.

Association Romande des Camps Pour Enfants Diabetiques (ARCED)
    Case Postale
    1290 Versoix

The administrator is M.M. Perrenoud and he can be reached by email at Dr. Alexandre Maret is a Pediatric Endocrinologist, who works with their camps. His address is:

Chemin des Mampes 1
    1752 Villars-sur-Glane
    Cormanon, vis-a-vis de l'Espace

His email is
    Their camps are:
    - 6 to 12 year olds, July 8 to 18, 2006
    - 13 to 16 year olds, July 20 to 30, 2006