Question:

From Amarillo, Texas, USA:

One month ago, my CPK (phosphocreatine kinase) test revealed an elevated level of 1880. The tests were repeated last week and my CPK level was 6700. Does diabetes cause these rapidly rising CPK levels?

Answer:

No, diabetes does not generally cause these numbers to be high. This test result is an enzyme that comes from muscle. Very often, patients who have diabetes are also taking medications that may cause elevated CPK levels. One of the medications that you might be taking is a drug that lowers your cholesterol. The drugs that lower cholesterol and belong to the group of drugs known as statins may cause muscle inflammation and raise your CPK levels. There is always the possibility that you may have an inflammatory muscle disease that is not related to your medications. Please see your physician for more a more detailed evaluation.