Question:

From West Valley City, Utah, USA:

My husband was diagnosed three months ago and has gotten his blood sugar numbers down to an average of around 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L]. Lately, for about three weeks, he has been experiencing extreme mood swings and shortness or no patience with dealing with people. This starts from the time he gets up and has lasted throughout most of his days. He has hated having these feelings as it is the complete opposite of his personality. What could be the cause? He is also on cholesterol and high blood pressure medications, which his doctor has been careful about which diabetes pills to prescribe. Is this behavior normal during the adjustment period upon being first diagnosed with diabetes? Do we need to give everything more time? He is already contacting his doctor about this current behavior. I'm doing this for my own support and understanding as his wife.

Answer:

It is important to note that depression can accompany diabetes in up to 30% of patients. He may be experiencing depression and need to have medical attention for this.

Posted to Behavior and Type 2