Question:

From Summerville, South Carolina, USA:

I've had type 2 diabetes since March. I am doing real well, so far, with my sugar and diet. However, in May, I came down with this bad itching in the back of my head that is driving me nuts. I'm taking some medicines to try to stop the itching. Could the itching be caused by my diabetes? I also have neuropathy.

Answer:

There are a number of reasons why you may have itching in your scalp. However, it may not be strictly from diabetes. There are other scalp conditions that might be more chronic conditions that are the result of your immune system being inhibited by elevated blood sugars. The scalp needs to be examined by your physician.