Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from July 2006

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Dec 15 | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Since she drinks and urinates a lot, I had my daughter tested for diabetes. Her urine test was negative, but her urine was quite diluted. She also appears to have diaper rash. Should I push for more testing? (31 Jul 2006)

2. In Massachusetts, where can I find a therapist who is good with teens and also is a CDE? I need help for my teen who has been non-compliant for several months. (31 Jul 2006)

3. In studying for my CDE exam, I have seen the ADA recommendation for blood sugars as 90 to 130 mg/dl [5.0 to 7.2 mmol/L]. Has it always been this range? (31 Jul 2006)

4. I have type 1 and want to conceive. The high risk OB-GYN is over an hour away. With a 6.0 A1c and no complications, couldn't I just see a local OB-GYN? (31 Jul 2006)

5. While playing football, where should my teen son wear his pump? (30 Jul 2006)

6. My stepson, who has low thyroid, gained a lot of weight in a short time and once had a random blood sugar of 155 mg/dl [8.6 mmol/L]. Will he outgrow the thyroid problem? Or, is there something else going on? (30 Jul 2006)

7. An hour after having two shots of rum, my friend, who has uncontrolled type 2, had an accident and her blood alcohol level was 0.26. Could her uncontrolled diabetes have contributed to the high blood alcohol level? (30 Jul 2006)

8. My five year old often wakes during the night and is screaming, confused and sweating. During the day, we give her a snack and she is fine. Could this be hypoglycemia? (30 Jul 2006)

9. What do I do if juice or a tablet doesn't help raise my blood sugar? Could my blood sugar problem be something other than diabetes? (30 Jul 2006)

10. My son's infusion sets come off quite easily, especially from swimming. We have tried many products. What do you suggest? (30 Jul 2006)

11. Does a glucagon kit need refrigeration? Do lancets expire? What about ketone strips once the vial has been opened? Does CWD get financial support from pump companies? (30 Jul 2006)

12. The pediatrician has diagnosed my son with hyperglycemia. He often has blood sugars from the 150s to 180s mg/dl [8.3 to 10.5 mmol/L]. What does this mean? Will he have diabetes? He has the "classic" symptoms. (30 Jul 2006)

13. My teen, who has Down Syndrome, gained 15 pounds in two months so the endocrinologist had her undergo a GTT. Based on her results, what do you think? (29 Jul 2006)

14. Since she has several health issues, my daughter sees an endocrinologist, who had me check my daughter's blood sugars. She has had occasional high blood sugars. Could she have diabetes even if she is not high every day? (29 Jul 2006)

15. Because of frequent yeast infections, complaints about her eyes and frequent urination, my daughter had a fingerstick test. The result was 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L]. Should I ask for more testing? (29 Jul 2006)

16. We are not satisfied with our son's endocrinologist, but there's no one else within a 50 mile radius. Is there another type of specialist to whom we could take our son for diabetes care? (29 Jul 2006)

17. My two year old cousin, of whom I have custody, seems to "zone out" sometimes. Since he is often very thirsty, I suspect it is a blood sugar issue. What do you think? (29 Jul 2006)

18. In addition to diabetes, my friend has several other ailments. She has been sleepwalking and losing consciousness, even while driving. Have you heard of this? How can she prevent it? (28 Jul 2006)

19. I am using Diprosalic ointment for eczema. It is a steroid. Can it be absorbed into the bloodstream? Can it cause diabetes? (28 Jul 2006)

20. My friend, who is in his early 20s, was just diagnosed with diabetes. Three doctors said he could die before age 30. Is this true? What kind of diabetes does he have? What do you say to someone with diabetes? (27 Jul 2006)

21. Some women with gestational diabetes have said they treat DKA with food and that I'm doing it wrong. How should I treat DKA? I have type 1. (26 Jul 2006)

22. I have seen both my regular doctor and a diabetes educator for my type 2. Is it okay if I go to someone else? (26 Jul 2006)

23. My friend, who has had diabetes for 16 years, has an A1c of 9.0. She eats well and exercises, but is unable to lose weight. What should she do? (26 Jul 2006)

24. I recently had an A1c test. What is this test? What is the "normal" range? Does my low dose of glyburide "take care of" this? (26 Jul 2006)

25. Is there a web site that explains how diabetes can affect a breathalyzer test? (26 Jul 2006)

26. Where can I find information about school discrimination? My son's school claims it doesn't have funding for a full time nurse, yet it says my son cannot bolus without one. What can I do? I don't want to move him to another school. (26 Jul 2006)

27. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes last November three months after we moved into a house we later left due to a mold problem. Is it possible that diabetes was caused or triggered by this mold? (25 Jul 2006)

28. My nine year old had an elevated GAD-65 reading, but does not yet have diabetes. Other than watching his diet, is there anything we can do to delay the onset of diabetes? (25 Jul 2006)

29. My granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 in May. At her recent appointment, the endocrinologist said her parents should not use insulin pens because of leak back and lack of refrigeration. What is your opinion on the use of insulin pens? (25 Jul 2006)

30. Although she is overweight and has frequent thirst and urination, the doctor said my daughter does not have diabetes. Is it normal to be symptomatic and not have it? What can I do? (25 Jul 2006)

31. If diabetes isn't taken care of, can it cause mental issues? Can it cause someone to become schizophrenic or bipolar or just have random fits of anger? (25 Jul 2006)

32. Although his blood sugars are not elevated, my boyfriend is urinating a lot. I don't think he has diabetes, but thought he could have insulin resistance. Or, could it be diabetes insipidus? What do you think? (16 Jul 2006)

33. When under stress, I had what I felt was an elevated A1c. My blood tests were fine. Could the stress I was under produce such high results in my first test? Do I have some glucose intolerance? (16 Jul 2006)

34. What are the indications to split the Lantus dose and once it is split, how do you decide which dose to adjust? Do you know of any sources on best practices with Lantus? (16 Jul 2006)

35. How is one supposed to dispose of the introducer needle of an Inset? It does not fit in a traditional "sharps" container. (16 Jul 2006)

36. Although I was cleared for SCUBA diving, my blood sugar was 121 mg/d [6.7 mmol/L], just under the cutoff. I am lean and fit, but had two-thirds of my pancreas removed three years ago. Is this level harmful? What can I do to lower it? (14 Jul 2006)

37. My toddler has yellowish skin and isn't gaining weight at her usual rate. The doctor wants to check her thyroid, but could she also be developing type 1 diabetes? (14 Jul 2006)

38. Over the past year, my son's A1c has gone from 6.7 to 8.5. We count carbohydrates carefully and his four daily tests are usually in range. What else should we be doing? (14 Jul 2006)

39. Since a year after her diagnosis with type 1, my daughter has had disabling belly pain around her navel. It is not related to high blood sugars and ketones. Is there a link between the pain and diabetes? What causes it? (13 Jul 2006)

40. I am low at night, then high in the morning. What should I do? I am on a pump. (13 Jul 2006)

41. My son experiences weakness, paleness, sweating, and nausea that almost always ends with vomiting. He improves after vomiting. Could this be hypoglycemia? (13 Jul 2006)

42. I have CF related diabetes. A few weeks ago, I had several stubborn low blood sugars so I reduced my NovoLog. Then, I was high and needed my usual doses. What caused this? It was scary. How can I prevent it from happening again? Would a pump help? (13 Jul 2006)

43. Do you know of any international organizations involved in sponsoring children/families who are in need of medical care for diabetes? (12 Jul 2006)

44. When she travels to England, Spain, France and Italy, what should my teen daughter do if she loses her diabetes supplies or they are stolen? (12 Jul 2006)

45. I was diagnosed with type 2 and got my blood sugars normalized with diet and exercise. Then, I tested positive for anti-GAD antibodies. My doctor is unsure how to treat me. Have other doctors encountered patients in similar situations? (12 Jul 2006)

46. My daughter was losing weight and complaining of stomach pain so I had the doctor check her blood sugar. It was normal, but elevated when checked with my father's meter. Should I be concerned? (12 Jul 2006)

47. My son has symptoms of hypoglycemia. The doctor said to check his blood sugar when he's symptomatic. What is a normal blood sugar? Are his symptoms typical? (11 Jul 2006)

48. Since she was having lows on Euglucon and metformin, my mother's doctor switched her to Minidiab and metformin. He said the prolonged use of Euglucon among older diabetics tends to cause hypoglycemia. Is this true? (11 Jul 2006)

49. My six year old had a very high blood sugar and we are trying to understand why. Someone else administered her lunch shot, several hours earlier. Is it possible that my daughter did not get enough insulin? (10 Jul 2006)

50. My daughter has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia. Her antibody tests were positive. What exactly does this mean? Why is type 1 development uncertain with positive antibodies? (10 Jul 2006)

51. My doctor has confirmed that I have type 1. Should I ask him to re-test for antibodies again as my blood sugars are still in the normal range with no medication, diet and exercise only? (9 Jul 2006)

52. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 and went on insulin, but had many lows after finishing prednisone. A second doctor said she does not have diabetes. Who are we to believe? What do we do next? (9 Jul 2006)

53. Since switching to a lower carbohydrate diet, my husband, who takes Lantus and Humalog, has been having serious lows. During the night, his blood sugar remains low, even after glucose and food. What is going on? (9 Jul 2006)

54. When insurance coverage changes due to what is offered by an employer, isn't it also important to check your legislation in your state, as most states have something? (9 Jul 2006)

55. I eat a snack and decrease my insulin right before I start a 45 to 60 minute rowing workout, but still have lows. What should I do? (9 Jul 2006)

56. I just got the results of my recent urine test results. My nephrologist tested for protein and protein/creatinine ratio. What do these numbers mean? What else do I need to do, other than keep my A1c close to normal? (7 Jul 2006)

57. My teen daughter, a competitive swimmer, develops ketones near the end of long distance races and has been advised to stop distance races. How can we help her? (7 Jul 2006)

58. I am training to run in a marathon in the fall. What should my ideal glucose level be prior to the start of the race? (7 Jul 2006)

59. When he was on a pump, my son was in DKA three times, often as a result of his forgetfulness. His control is improved on Lantus and NovoLog. Should we stick with this or push for pumping again? (6 Jul 2006)

60. For the past two weeks, we have had to reduce our son's Humalog to prevent lows. Is it possible he is producing insulin again, nine years after diagnosis? I am also concerned that his genitalia are not growing properly. Do males with diabetes have decreased blood flow to their genitalia, resulting in lack of growth? What should we discuss with the doctor? (6 Jul 2006)

61. I allow my daughter to have sweets, especially at school and family functions. How much is too often? Will this affect her later in life? (6 Jul 2006)

62. A few years after being on Accutane, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. When asking about the correlation, why are we ignored? (6 Jul 2006)

63. My nine year old had a blood sugar of 147 mg/dl [8.2 mmol/L] and was diagnosed as borderline diabetic. I was given no guidance on testing or diet. What should I do? (5 Jul 2006)

64. I started on insulin in my 20th week and was up to about 100 units. Last week, I had to stop all insulin to avoid lows. The doctor thinks the placenta may be deteriorating. Is this common? Does it usually have a good outcome? (5 Jul 2006)

65. For three years, I used Humalog and Insulatard successfully. I am pregnant so the local put me on Actrapid. My blood sugars skyrocketed. What do you recommend? (5 Jul 2006)

66. With an LDL of 120, is it safe for me to make lifestyle changes or should I go on Zocor, which my doctor recommended? (5 Jul 2006)

67. Since my son's April diagnosis, I was fired due to the amount of time I was taking off for medical appointments. My son was arrested for shoplifting. I'm exasperated. Do other parents experience similar frustrations after their child's diagnosis? (3 Jul 2006)

68. My employer is switching to UnitedHealthcare next year with Medco as the pharmacy. They do not pay for insulin in full. Do you have a list of insurance companies who will? (3 Jul 2006)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts