From Minnesota, USA:

I, too, was on Accutane for a period of time and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a few years later with no family history. I think it is more common than people think. I have been on Insulin Pumpers web site and got several responses from people who have been on it and now have diabetes. Why is it that when asking about the correlation of the two, it's almost like we are being ignored?

I performed a computerized literature search from 1996 until the present time. I found a SINGLE, case report, in the form of a Letter To The Editor, in the journal "Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation." I doubt that your questions are being "ignored" but it would seem, based on published scientific papers, no strong link has been associated with Accutane (isotretinoin) and type 1 diabetes mellitus.

Additional comments from Michelle Noschese:

We answered a similar question in 2003.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Medications