Question:

From Hampshire, United Kingdom:

After sending in a question last year about my diabetes (about the honeymoon period,) I went back to my doctor and asked if he could confirm if I had type 1 or type 2. He confirmed that I had type 1 and was still in the honeymoon period. He did comment that 16 months was rather a long honeymoon period. Should I ask him to re-test for antibodies again as my blood sugars are still in the normal range with no medication only diet and exercise?

Answer:

It's okay to re-check antibody levels. The older one is, the more likely you will have a honeymoon and the more likely it will be a longer honeymoon. This has been a clinical finding for many decades.