Question:

From Seaford, Delaware, USA:

I am concerned about my 10 year old son. For the past year, he has had strange bouts of weakness, paleness, sweating, and nausea that almost always ends with vomiting. It seems to be related to when he has gone without eating for a while. When he is finished vomiting, he normally feel like himself in about 10 minutes or so. Could this be hypoglycemia? This has happened about eight times in the past year.

Answer:

Yes. Have your physicians and nurses teach you how to use and of the Blood Glucose Meters that are on the market and easy to use. This would let you check blood glucose levels and prove if this is hypoglycemia or not (i.e., blood glucose levels less than 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L] during times of such symptoms). Simple treatment works about 90% of the time: meals and snacks which avoid simple sugars, always have some protein and fat and never go without some protein/fat for more than three hours. If this does not work, then a more detailed evaluation is needed.