Question:

From Heber Springs, Arkansas, USA:

I have a 13 year old daughter who weighs about 241 pounds. My mother brought to my attention that she drinks a lot and goes to relive herself just as much. I also found out that bed wetting is a symptom and she also does this, although not excessively, but frequently. My mother suggested that I take my daughter to the doctor to have her checked for diabetes, which I did recently. The doctor tested her blood sugar and it was 125 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L], which he said was a little high. It was also 11 a.m. when we went. The doctor also said that he doesn't think that she is diabetic, but he will test her again in three months. I do not know what a normal blood sugar level is. I do not understand why he wants to test her again in three months. Is it normal to have several of the symptoms of diabetes and not have it? What can I do?

Answer:

At age 13 years, your daughter is significantly overweight, as you should know, at 241 pounds. She is at high, high risk of sugar problems.

A "normal" fasting glucose (from a blood test in the arm, NOT a "fingerstick" on small a bedside glucose meter) is between about 60 and 100 mg/dl [3.3 and 5.6 mmol/L]."Diabetes" can be diagnosed if the fasting level is confirmed to be "greater than" 125 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L]. A fasting level more than 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] is considered an "abnormal fasting glucose." Your daughter may not fulfill criteria for "diabetes," but I'd wager that if she were put through a formal, proper, glucose tolerance test, the results would be abnormal.

Diet, diet, and diet with exercise are to be stressed, stressed, and stressed. I wouldn't wait three months to retest her. I'd do it in days (to weeks), especially given her symptoms of increased urine production, etc.