From Edinburgh, Scotland:

My friend has had type 1 diabetes for 16 years. Her A1c is sitting at around a 9.0 at the moment. She eats healthily, avoids alcohol, and sugar and fat when she can, yet is unable to control her sugars. She also does a lot of exercise and, although she is not overweight, she also would like to try and lose a bit of weight and this isn't' happening either. What should she do?

There are many factors other than diet, exercise that play a role in management of type 1 diabetes. Does your friend go to a diabetes center and see an endocrinologist? You do not say what type of insulin regimen she is on, but there are various different types of insulin and some other newer agents that can be used to maximize her diabetes treatment. I would suggest she discuss these with her diabetes care team.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c