Question:

From Yarmouth, Maine, USA:

My 17 year old son has basically been non-compliant with regard to his diabetes care for approximately the last nine months. For the school year, he lives in the Springfield/Amherst, Massachusetts area and we are looking for a family therapist who is good with teens, is also a CDE, and practices in that area. Do you have any contacts or suggestions?

Answer:

Unfortunately it is very hard to find therapists that are knowledgeable about diabetes management and it is even more rare that the therapist would also be a CDE. I do have the name of one therapist in Western MA, but I don't know if this number is still current. His name is Dr. Paul Fleicsmann and his number was 413-253-2600. I believe he has experience working with teens with diabetes. I would also ask for a mental health referral from your son's diabetes health care team. You may also want to call the local American Diabetes Association office and/or the local Juvenile Diabetes and Research Foundation chapter in western Massachusetts and ask for referrals.

DB

Posted to Mental Health and Other