From Yarmouth, Maine, USA:

My 17 year old son has basically been non-compliant with regard to his diabetes care for approximately the last nine months. For the school year, he lives in the Springfield/Amherst, Massachusetts area and we are looking for a family therapist who is good with teens, is also a CDE, and practices in that area. Do you have any contacts or suggestions?

Unfortunately it is very hard to find therapists that are knowledgeable about diabetes management and it is even more rare that the therapist would also be a CDE. I do have the name of one therapist in Western MA, but I don't know if this number is still current. His name is Dr. Paul Fleicsmann and his number was 413-253-2600. I believe he has experience working with teens with diabetes. I would also ask for a mental health referral from your son's diabetes health care team. You may also want to call the local American Diabetes Association office and/or the local Juvenile Diabetes and Research Foundation chapter in western Massachusetts and ask for referrals.

Posted to Mental Health and Other