Question:

From New York, USA:

In the past year, my eight year old son has lost about 15 to 20 pounds. We took him to the doctor's and told them about his excessive thirst, getting up three or four times a night to go to the bathroom and his weight loss. They tested him for diabetes, but it came back okay. They never told me what the levels were. Is there any way that he could still have it, even if his levels were okay at the time? Should we go back and do another test? He recently went to the doctor's for a hurt wrist and he lost another seven pounds since he went in to be checked. I mentioned that he lost more weight and that he was in before about his weight loss, but the nurse said he probably has a high metabolism. There is diabetes on both sides of the family. He weighs 76 pounds and is about 4 feet, 11 inches. When he was little, maybe five, we thought he had diabetes, but they tested him and said he had low blood sugar and that was the end of that.

Answer:

I'd retest your son's blood sugar level and have a urine analysis to rule out diabetes definitively. Furthermore, you should also ask the doctor to do tests to check his thyroid.