Question:

From San Jose, California, USA:

I am a 16 year old male and am thinking about taking anabolic steroids for athletic purposes. I am a type 1 diabetic and have had diabetes for the last seven years. My A1c is 7.2 and I am in good health. Would taking one cycle of anabolic steroids effect my diabetes? Would it worsen my condition? Is there a big risk in taking it especially since I have diabetes?

Answer:

Let's approach this from your perspective and questions first:

What will anabolic steroids do for you? "One" cycle (depending on what "a cycle" really consists of) probably will not harm you. But, it won't significantly impact what you think you want to achieve for the "athletic purposes" either. It will probably worsen any acne. Like eating a potato chip, can you take just "one" cycle?

Will a cycle effect your diabetes? Yes. Depending on how your diabetes is managed, it may be easy to compensate (basal-bolus plan).

Repeated cycles will definitely negatively impact your diabetes. Repeated cycles will cause your testicles to shrink up. Repeated cycles will worsen your acne.

Now for what you didn't ask -- and I will not preach: It is illegal to take anabolic steroids in this manner. My unsolicited advice? Don't do it.

Posted to Other and Exercise and Sports