Question:

From Madera, California, USA:

Over the last month, my nine year old son has gained weight rapidly and has an increased appetite. He now wants to get up during the night to eat. He also has strong body odor. Could these be symptoms of diabetes? I did have gestational diabetes with my pregnancy. It was pretty well controlled with diet. He was full term and weighed seven pounds at birth.

Answer:

Rapid changing appetite and weight is concerning. I would recommend that you take your child in to your pediatrician for a full history and physical examination. The pediatrician can help you sort out normal from abnormal changes.