Question:

From Vienna, Virginia, USA:

My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last year. During a very late dinner last evening, my nephew (same age as my daughter) asked to be tested using her test strips. When she did, his glucose level was 198 mg/dl [11.0 mmol/L]. About 10 minutes after dinner, she checked him again and his reading was 121 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]. Are these normal blood sugar levels? He's small for his age and very active.

Answer:

In general, blood glucose readings on a home monitor may not be as accurate as those done by a laboratory. A reading of 121 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] is considered normal. But, if the he has the symptoms of diabetes, you might want to suggest that the boy undergo laboratory testing.