Question:

From Bush, Louisiana, USA:

I am a pharmacist. I have a young patient who plays sports. His mom called me to question why the carton of Epsom salt has a warning not to use as a soak if you have diabetes. He has been using it for quite a while, on hot days after sports activity. I could only guess that soaking, especially in epsom salt, may have a sort of numbing effect on the skin, making it more prone to injury or infection. Do you have any information I can pass on to the mom?

Answer:

I can't think of a good reason why Epsom salts would be contraindicated for a child with diabetes when used as a soak. You might check with the manufacturer to better understand the warning.