Question:

From Clarion, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 19 month old son recently had a virus. I was told that this particular virus triggered my friend's child's diabetes. I am a registered nurse and I have been watching him ever since she told me. He also has asthma and is on Pulmicort every day for about six months. We have noticed that he is extremely thirsty lately (about two weeks now) and he is using a lot more diapers. There are numerous times he leaked through them, which he had not done since he was a few weeks old. I am not a fussy person and don't rush to the doctor, but I am nervous. My son was adopted and I know only the maternal family history. Do I have a reason to be concerned?

Answer:

What you describe could be early diabetes. You should contact your physician and get a urinalysis and also blood glucose tests done to find out current status. With weight loss, ongoing excess urination and/or excess thirst, more glucose testing should then be done as well. There are many viruses that can trigger diabetes in a genetically susceptible child so one particular virus is not usually the worry.