Question:

From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

I constantly get sick to my stomach, shaky, sweaty, find it hard to breathe once in a while, and have constant diarrhea. I took two three hour glucose tolerance tests. My fasting reading for the first test was 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L]; at one hour, I was 269 [14.9 mmol/L]; at two hours, I was 306 mg/dl [17.0 mmol/L]; and at three hours, I was 301 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. For the second test, my fasting blood sugar was 55 mg/dl [3.1 mmol/L]; at one hour, I was 269 mg/dl [14.9 mmol/L]; and at the third hour, I was 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L].

I have seen my primary care physician who stated that out of the fifty years he has practiced he has never seen results like mine. I have also gone and seen an endocrinologist who asked me why I'd gone to see him as my results didn't look that bad. Now I am waiting to see a second endocrinologist in a month. I have no idea what I should be eating. I am constantly hungry, have lost a tremendous amount of weight in a six month time span (71 pounds). I have also been diagnosed with tachycardia. Does this have anything to do with my blood sugar?

I am very concerned and have no help. I have looked at all my blood work for the thyroid and metabolism. They have pretty much tested me for everything. The only thing that was kind of low was my chloride level and the one time I was rushed to the hospital almost going into congestive heart failure, my potassium was critically low.

Answer:

The numbers you quoted me for the oral glucose tolerance test were diagnostic for diabetes. You will need to have your physician instruct you on how to test your blood sugar. You will also have to see a dietician. Any therapy you receive will have to have follow-up, in terms of the kind of blood sugars you demonstrate while on the therapy. The symptoms of weight loss and fast heart rate can also be a result of untreated diabetes. Although this sounds like a lot, and it is, it is a process. The most important thing is that you get connected with people who can help you through the process.