From Prather, California, USA:

I am the Nutrition Director for a school district and we have a new student in the district that type 1 diabetes. He happens to be a special education student with the learning ability of a first grader. My goal this school year is to sit with him and use the menu and teach him how to count his carbohydrates and plan on what to eat. Do you have any material that would help me?

I recommend that you use our web page on Carbohydrate Counting. Some tools that make learning carbohydrate counting fun can be found on the type1tools web site. One in particular are the flash carbs. These cards with carbohydrate counts for various foods can be used as part of a game to help with retention of learning.