Question:

From Brunswick, Georgia, USA:

I am almost 32 years old. I gave birth to a son in November 2005. Since then, I have had chronic diarrhea. I am a type 1 diabetic and I had preeclampsia before giving birth. I have been a diabetic since I was 12 years old. Why do I have diarrhea? What could cause it? What do I need to do?

Answer:

Chronic diarrhea may be related to neuropathy from diabetes involving the gut. However, there are enough other causes of diarrhea that you need to make sure that you and your physician have considered all the other likely causes. For instance, you can have chronic infection, bacterial overgrowth, celiac disease, malabsorption from other causes, in addition to diabetic diarrhea. These other causes of diarrhea need to be considered and evaluated. I am not sure how the preeclampsia plays into this.