From Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA:

Where can one donate the placenta after giving birth? I gave birth in 2005 and donated the placenta and umbilical cord for research at the University of Florida. But, I would like to know where anyone can donate these items, which would just be discarded anyway after giving birth, for diabetic research.

Those questions are best addressed with your physician or local labor and delivery services at the hospital you are attending. I believe that placenta donation is not universal like other organs and would be dependant on local research activities and the need for such tissues at any specific time.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

I am not aware of any cord blood donation programs specifically for research in type 1 diabetes. For further information, contact the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation to inquire about any research programs they may be sponsoring or supporting in this area.

Posted to Other and Research: Cure