Question:

From Fayetteville, Tennessee, USA:

I was at Camp SugarBugs in Goodlettesville, Tennessee over the weekend and we were told that cinnamon would help keep blood sugars level in type 1 diabetes. Is this true? Please let me know what you think about this.

Answer:

There is nothing new that I know. It may have some benefit for type 2s. It probably does not hurt, only wastes money and gives false hopes for "cures."

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, CWD Founder and Editor:

While there is no data to support the use of cinnamon in the treatment of type 1 diabetes, there are a couple of studies that looked at its use by patients with type 2 diabetes. See Effects of a cinnamon extract on plasma glucose, HbA, and serum lipids in diabetes mellitus type 2 from the May 2006 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Investigation and Cinnamon Improves Glucose and Lipids of People With Type 2 Diabetes from the December 2003 issue of Diabetes Care.

JSH