Question:

From Harris, Iowa, USA:

My 13 year old son has had type 1 diabetes since the age of six. He is constantly sick with various symptoms, such as, stomachaches, headaches, fevers, loss of appetite, and no energy. My husband and I had him examined by our family doctor and blood tests were done, but nothing was conclusive. I expressed my concern to our "specialist," but she felt he is just battling with the typical illnesses that we all get. Is all of this normal for an adolescent type 1 diabetic? My son is so tired of being sick and weak most of the time when other kids are running around and feeling good. I'm at my wits' end on how to help him. His illness interferes with school quite often and keeps him from doing what normal kids should be doing. He takes vitamins, iron, and a whole foods supplement. His diet is decent. When he feels well, he walks two miles a day but, most of the time, he doesn't feel well. Should we look for some other problem besides the diabetes?

Answer:

You may wish to consult with a board certified pediatrician (see the American Academy of Pediatrics web site for a listing of your local pediatricians) for a complete history and physical examination. They will be able to give you the best advice about your son's condition, determine whether it is within the range of normal, or if there may be an underlying illness.

Posted to Aches and Pains