Question:

From Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

I am a 23 year old who has been a ballet dancer for quite a few years. I have very strong bones that run in the family but, recently, I broke my fifth proximal metatarsal in my right foot. It was an avulsion fracture caused by an overextension of my tendon. I have been in a removable cast for a little over three weeks but, recently, my calf muscle has been in unbearable pain. My blood sugars are spiking due to the decreased amount of mobility and exercise. Plus, I am on a birth control called the NuvaRing. I am wondering if this pain could possibly be a blood clot. I have tried reaching my podiatrist, but they are closed all the way through Labor day for the holiday. Are there any suggestions as to what I can do as a "stationary exercise?" Yoga isn't quite working out with a broken foot and my balance is horrible with crutches. I don't want to hurt myself further, but my blood sugars and the pain are not getting any better. The doctor said absolutely no weight bearing on the foot and I don't see him till September 11th.

Answer:

It would not be appropriate to make a recommendation for activity without knowing the specifics of your case. It is most important that you follow the directions of the provider who originally saw you. For blood sugar control, you may have to increase your insulin dose to compensate for the decrease in exercise activity.

Posted to Aches and Pains