Question:

From Richmond, Virginia, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes for eight years. I'm taking three types of oral medications. I suspect that I am pregnant. Can high blood sugar levels interfere with HCG readings?

Answer:

Hyperglycemia should not interfere with the pregnancy test (serum or urine HCG testing). If you indeed confirm your pregnancy and you are having high blood glucose values, then I strongly encourage you to follow-up with your endocrinologist quickly. You need to determine if the oral agents are adequate in controlling your blood glucose or if you should switch to insulin for the pregnancy.

Posted to Pregnancy