From Decatur, Illinois, USA:

A 15 year old boy I know, type 1 diabetic since kindergarten, is very athletic and works hard in every sport activity. He also lifts weights and is very muscular and strong. His A1c has been 7%. He is troubled about a rumor going around school that he is so "buff" because he is diabetic and the insulin he has to take is a growth hormone. I feel sorry for him because he works so hard and doesn't get the credit. Is there any truth to this?

Well, I don't know if there is any truth about whether he is actually taking growth hormone or other "anabolic steroids," BUT insulin in and of itself, does not preferentially cause muscle growth or allow guys to get "ripped" or "buff." (If it did, I think a lot more teenage boys with diabetes would take their insulin better!) So, assuming everything you describe is accurate, he can rest assured in knowing that his buff body comes from hard work!