Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

My son gets 21 units of Levemir in the morning with his Regular insulin for breakfast. He has been on Levemir for about a month now. I have noticed recently that if he is high during the day, it always seems to be about two to three hours after breakfast. He comes down to normal fairly quickly after that and can be good the rest of the day, but I wonder why he is high right after breakfast. I try to give him a variety of foods and not all carbohydrates for breakfast.

Answer:

Levemir (detemir) is a basal insulin with virtually no peak action. Its use is to give a basal insulinization like the basal rate during insulin pump therapy. To control blood sugar excursions after meals, we use rapid acting insulin or rapid acting analogues, which enter the bloodstream in 10 to 15 minutes. Regular insulin enters the bloodstream in about 30 minutes. So, if your son is high the two to three hours immediately after breakfast, it could be that the rapid insulin dose is not adequate for the amount of carbohydrates ingested or that the injection is too near to the meal. You can discuss with your diabetes team the right amount of insulin needed or the correct timing of the injection.

AS

[Editor's comment: You may also wish to discuss using faster acting insulins such as NovoLog, Humalog or Apidra, which enter the bloodstream in 10 to 15 minutes. BH]

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care